Baklava, made with layers of flaky phyllo dough stuffed with a sweet nutty filling, is a very traditional Mediterranean dessert. Here are the condiments and preparation.
Yield: 12 pieces
Prep Time: 2-1/2 hours
Cook Time: 31 minutes
Serving Size: 1 piece
Each serving has: 311 calories, 38g carbohydrate, 16g fat, 2g dietary fiber, 6g saturated fat, 20mg cholesterol, 4g protein and 295mg sodium
1 cup walnuts
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/4 cup sugar
14 tsp salt
25 (8×8-in) sheets phyllo dough
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 cup Simple Syrup at room temperature
1) Preheat the oven to 350’F
2) In a food processor fitted with a chopping dough, blend walnuts, cinnamon, nutmeg, sugar, and salt for 30 seconds.
3) In an 8×8-in pan, begin to layer phyllo dough. Add 10 sheets, buttering each sheet as you lay it in the pan. The sprinkle phyllo dough with 1/2 of nut mixture. Layer next 5 phyllo sheets, brushing each sheet with butter. Sprinkle rest of nut mixture over top, and add remaining 10 layers of phyllo, again brushing each sheet with butter.
4) Using a sharp knife, cut baklava into 12 equal pieces. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until phyllo turns golden brown.
5) Pour Simple Syrup over baklava, and let it soak for at least 2 hours before serving.
| Recipe Courtesy of Denise “DedeMed’ Hazime who wrote “The Mediterranean Diet Cookbook”.