You will have the opportunity to have an exclusive insight into the star’s passion for collecting fine art, sculpture, and jewelry, as well as a once-in-a-lifetime chance to own jewelry worthy of the writer’s most glamorous characters.
As Bonhams Vice-President Leslie Wright said, “A Life in Chapters celebrates the phenomenal career and times of this stylish and glamorous woman. Jackie Collins lived the lifestyle about which she wrote, and the sale will provide an exclusive insight into the real woman behind her unforgettable characters. Her books were loved by millions of readers worldwide. This is their chance to own a piece of the magic.”
As Tracy, Rory, and Tiffany, the three daughters of Jackie Collins, commented, “Our mother never did anything in small measures! She was passionate about collecting and spent many decades selecting paintings, statuettes, and jewelry which brought her joy and creative inspiration. In the early 1990s, our parents designed and built a breathtaking contemporary home in Beverly Hills, which became the custom-designed backdrop to our mother’s collections. She had a unique and extraordinary eye for a design and aesthetic that combined elegance and glamour with humor and warmth.
“We are delighted to be working with Bonhams on this very special sale honoring our mother’s legacy, most especially because a portion of all proceeds will be donated to support the empowerment of young women in the arts and education.”
Jackie was a serious collector of fine art and sculpture with a particular passion for Art Deco sculpture and 20th century American and British painting. The two-day auction includes:
– A collection of bronzes including Nude with Shawl by Josef Lorenzl (estimated at US$18,000-25,000)
– Several works by the English painter, Beryl Cook, including Tango in Bar Sur (US$ 20,000-30,000) and Train Station Café (US$ 20,000-30,000).
– Jackie’s bespoke special edition 2002 Jaguar XKR Sportscar, fittingly finished in metallic gold, estimated at US$ 15,000-20,000
– A selection of entertainment and career-related memorabilia taking in first editions of Jackie’s works and a selection of her famous designer clothes
Like her home, her personality, and her characters, Jackie’s jewelry is bold, strong, and colorful. Her extensive collection of jewels comprises:
– A 6.04-carat diamond and platinum ring is estimated at US$100,000-150,000
– An Art Deco diamond, emerald, stone and platinum necklace at US$40,000-50,000
– Signed pieces by Cartier and Nardi among others
– Watches by Patek Philippe, Harry Winston, Chanel and Chopard
The British-born star published her first novel, The World is Full of Married Men, in 1968, marking the start of a 47-year writing career. An instant success, the book was a bestseller, as were the next 31 novels which together sold more than 500 million copies in 40 countries worldwide.
The fictional world of Hollywood glamour that fans so loved in her works was alive in Jackie’s private life which she latterly spent in the Hockney-inspired home she designed with her husband, the gallery, and nightclub owner, Oscar Lerman. It is the sculpture and fine art that decorated that Beverly Hills home and the jewelry she wore that comprise Bonhams’ upcoming auction, A Life in Chapters.
Date: May 16th and 17th at 10:00 am
Location: Bonhams – 7601 W. Sunset Blvd, Los Angeles
Specialists: Leslie Wright, VP and Director of Trusts and Estate, Bonhams USA and Harvey Cammell, Deputy Chairman, Bonhams UK
Day One: Contents of the Beverly Hills home of Jackie Collins
Day Two: The Jackie Collins Collection of Jewelry
Day Three: Online sale of Objet d’arts and jewelry goes live
A portion of all proceeds will be donated to support the empowerment of young women in the arts and education.