It’s ice cream month, and to mark the occasion why not try this utterly delicious vanilla pod ice cream from Bettys. It’s a classic, and a perfect recipe to have in your repertoire.
Makes a 1-liter mix of Vanilla Pod Ice Cream.
1 vanilla pod
2 free-range eggs
185g caster sugar
500ml double cream
250ml whole milk
- Split your vanilla pod in half and scrape the seeds out.
- Add the pod to a thick-bottomed pan, add the milk and cream and bring to a gentle simmer.
- Whisk the eggs, sugar, and vanilla seeds together, then pour the hot cream mixture on top, whisking continuously.
- Allow to cool, then place covered in the fridge and allow to stand for 24 hours.
- Remove the vanilla pod then pour into an ice cream machine and churn for 45 minutes until thick and creamy.
- Transfer to a freezer-proof plastic tub and cover. This mix will keep for up to a month in the freezer.