If you recently moved into a new home or have lived in your house for an extended period, the chances are that the property needs some repair work. However, some areas that need fixing are apparent, while others are not. You can quickly identify broken door knobs and chipped decks, but how do you tell your home needs rewiring? Read on for six signs you need to have your home rewired to reduce the risk of fires, cut your electricity expenses, enhance safety, and boost your home’s value.

1. Dimming or flickering lights

The dimming or flickering of lights is one of the most common signs that your home needs rewiring. If you ascertain that your lighting bulbs are correctly installed, you should consider contacting a Squamish electrician for inspections. Flickering or dimming of lights shows that the bulbs are receiving too little or too much voltage due to loose wiring connections or faulty circuits, necessitating immediate fixing.

2. Electric shocks

If you are often experiencing a tingling feeling when plugging in appliances or seeing sparks near an outlet, it indicates a significant problem with your home’s wiring that requires urgent inspection. Electrical shocks can result in long-term health complications such as memory loss and numbness. Severe electrical shocks can also cause respiratory issues, heart failure, and intense muscle contractions.

3. Persistent burning smell

Does your home have a burning smell that will not just go away, and you cannot identify its source? It could be coming from electrical wires behind your walls. A faulty wire or loose connections can make the wiring too short, creating sparks. If you notice a persistent burning smell, be sure to switch off the power at the circuit, then contact a professional electrician or the fire department.

4. Hot or discolored outlets

An obvious sign of overheated or sparking wiring and that you need to contact a professional for rewiring is scorched or discolored electrical switches and outlets. Faulty wiring in switches or outlets often causes a small fire that overheats or discolors the surfaces, so it needs immediate fixing to prevent extensive damage to your property.

5. Frequent circuit breaker tripping

A circuit breaker is often installed as a safety precaution. It is designed to shut down the power supply when the system overloads or the circuit reaches an amperage it can no longer handle. Circuit tripping often indicates issues with your home appliances. However, if you notice persistent tripping within a short span, it could imply a severe problem, so you should hire an electrician to fix the issue.

6. Your home is old

The most straightforward reason to consider rewiring your home is its age. If you have recently bought a house, inquire how long it has been since the previous rewire. If a home is 50, 60, or 70 years old, it means that its wiring is just as old, so you should replace it with modern wiring. Older wiring is not only vulnerable to breaking down. It also lacks circuit breakers, so you will not get warnings in case of electrical problems. Old installations may also not support modern electrical appliances.


While electrical rewiring can be expensive, it helps protect your home against fires and keep your family safe. Be sure to rewire your home when you notice dimming or flickering lights, burning smells, electrical shocks, discolored switches, and outlets, or live in an older home. Hire a professional to rewire your home as DIY electrical repairs and installations can be dangerous.